Strategic Operations Summer Intern
The Strategic Operations Intern will work with colleagues in the President's Office, across HDC, and at external partners to identify and implement solutions to issues of strategic importance to the Corporation. As part of the team, you will gain experience analyzing and managing issues that cut across HDC's different divisions that require a comprehensive approach.
Through one or more projects, you will receive coaching and support on how to:
- Define challenging policy, operational, and financing problems
- Synthesize complex and unstructured qualitative and quantitative information to inform decision-making
- Collaborate in a cross-functional environment with professionals from different disciplines
- Fine-tune your writing, presentation, and communication skills to be effective in time-constrained environments
The Strategic Operations Intern will work on the Chief Strategy Officer's team in the President's Office and report to the Vice President for Strategic Operations.
Recent projects or issues on which the team has worked include: an evaluation of a legacy middle-income affordable housing program, development of proposals to streamline the moving of formerly homeless households into permanent affordable housing, crafting successful recommendations to reduce federal administrative barriers in the lease-up process, structuring a new equity-enhancing loan guarantee with an external financial institution, and investigating solutions to rising insurance costs in multifamily affordable housing.
March 29th- First round applications due
Strategic Operations Intern:
Area of Talent: Strategy, Program Design, and Management
Position Type: Summer Internship
Office Location: NYC/Financial District
Reports to: Vice President, Strategic Operations
Hourly Rate: Graduate $19.00/hour
If needed, HDC will fully support an intern’s application for credit or stipend from their school/university.
Responsibilities, depending on the project, could include:
- Write short memos describing policy and programmatic options
- Create PowerPoint presentations to support decision-making and communicate information to senior leadership and external partners
- Analyze data to describe a program or issue's characteristics, challenges, and trends
- Assess how current tools can be modified or used in novel ways to advance new goals
- Identify misalignment between operations and policies that can be addressed to improve outcomes
- Provide a sounding board for idea development, stakeholder engagement, and project management
- Research and summarize policies, programs, or statutes
- Synthesize existing procedural documents, process flows, and program eligibility requirements
- Must be pursuing a graduate-level degree in any field of study
- Superb writing skills
- Professional experience or coursework in program design, program implementation, management consulting, equity research, operations improvement, real estate finance, affordable housing operations, or housing policy
- Intermediate Excel and analytical skills (i.e., Pivot Tables, LOOKUP functions, ability to merge different spreadsheets using a unique identifier, and trend analysis)
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (212) 227-6816.
All HDC hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
If you are offered an internship at HDC, the requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for an exemption is received and approved by HDC.
HDC is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
HDC is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, HDC will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Human Resources by emailing email@example.com.