AVP of Compliance
The Assistant Vice President of Compliance reports to the Vice President of Compliance and oversees all aspects of the LIHTC, Tax-exempt bond, Public Housing Portfolio, Extended Use Period, Taxable Bond, and Regulatory Compliance of HDC financed developments ensuring strict adherence to regulatory and statutory requirements, including the communication and enforcement of all policies and regulations throughout HDC’s portfolio.
Area of Talent: Asset Management
Position Type: Full Time/ Exempt
Salary Range: $120,000 to $130,000
Office Location: NYC / Financial District
- Streamline existing and create new processes and systems to maximize the Department’s productivity and oversight capabilities.
- Supervise and provide collaborative leadership and support to the Director of LIHTC Compliance and a team of Compliance Managers and Compliance Specialists and participate in hiring new employees as needed.
- Develop training and guidance materials and tools to support the staff.
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of all affordable housing compliance programs in HDC's portfolio, ensuring awareness of procedural guidelines for administering and maintaining compliance and implementation of appropriate corrective compliance measures with those programs as applicable.
- Collaborate with HDC's IT and Project Management teams to streamline existing processes and systems to maximize the department's productivity and oversight capabilities.
- Schedule and coordinate Annual Owner Certification (AOC) package submissions and file audits for IRC §42, §142, and regulatory requirements.
- Assign and manage Public Housing and Regulatory Compliance staff workload and conduct regular meetings to follow up on timelines and deadlines.
- Manage inquiries from residents, attorneys, elected officials, owners, syndicators, or managing agents; and provide timely and detailed responses substantiated by HDC regulatory and programmatic guidelines.
- Ensure HDC staff and outside parties properly implement new policies and procedures.
- Coordinate and lead compliance meetings with owners, syndicators, consultants, and managing agents.
- Establish relationships with IRS and HUD officials, project developers, owners, managing agents, syndicators, government agencies, and third parties.
- Lead detailed internal staff seminars that provide project specific as well as general programmatic information and guidance.
- Build strong working relationships with other teams within HDC and HPD to enhance compliance efforts and education.
- Oversee the review, approval, and distribution of compliance and non-compliance reports according to the programmatic and regulatory requirements.
- 10+ years minimum of relevant experience in affordable housing compliance
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college in a related field such as Business Administration, Public Administration, or Urban Planning preferred
- Thorough understanding of the low-income housing tax credit (LIHTC) program including LIHTC or comparable certifications/experience.
- LIHTC/TCS/TACCs certification required obtained within the last 5 years
- COS, BOS, AHM, or other widely known affordable housing compliance certifications preferred.
- Comprehensive understanding of IRS Section 42 and 142, HDC Marketing Guidelines, Fair Housing and Rent Stabilization guidelines
- Prior supervisory experience required.
- Experience with reviewing, interpreting, and applying government regulations
- High level of proficiency in data analysis and regulatory agreement review.
- Ability and experience managing projects and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Superior organizational, analytic, and problem-solving skills.
- Communication (written, verbal, and visual) and interpersonal skills; ability to assemble, motivate, and lead cross-functional teams to meet objectives
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office - Excel, Word and Power Point
Submitted resumes must be accompanied by a cover letter. Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (212)227-6816.
All HDC hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by HDC.
HDC domonstrates a strong commitment to its employees by providing a salary that is competitive and commensurate with experience and excellent benefits, including:
- Health Benefits at a reasonable cost
- Dental and Vision Benefits at no cost
- Retirement savings plan with a generous match and a pension plan
- Paid holiday, vacation, sick time and parental leave
- Professional development opportunities
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness for eligible employees
- Wellness reimbursement
- Back up Caregiver benefit
HDC is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
HDC is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, HDC will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Human Resources by emailing jobs@NYCHDC.com.