Director of Regulatory & Public Housing Compliance
The Director of Regulatory and Public Housing Compliance reports to the Vice President of Compliance and oversees all aspects of the Public Housing Portfolio, Extended Use Period, Tax-Exempt Bond, Taxable Bond, and Regulatory Compliance of HDC financed developments, ensuring strict adherence to regulatory and statutory requirements, including the communication and enforcement of all policies and regulations throughout HDC’s portfolio.
Area of Talent: Public Housing/Compliance
Position Type: Full Time/Exempt
Salary Range: $100,000 to $110,000
Office Location: NYC/Financial District
- Assist the VP of Compliance by overseeing the Regulatory & Public Housing Compliance team's day-to-day activities to ensure properties comply with all programmatic requirements and regulations.
- Supervise and provide collaborative leadership and support to a team of Compliance Managers and Compliance Specialists and participate in hiring new employees as needed
- Develop training and guidance materials and tools to support the staff.
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of all affordable housing compliance programs in HDC's portfolio, ensuring awareness of procedural guidelines for administering and maintaining compliance with those programs.
- Collaborate with HDC's IT and Project Management teams to streamline existing processes and systems to maximize the department's productivity and oversight capabilities.
- Schedule and coordinate monitoring reviews under IRC §42, §142, and regulatory requirements.
- Coordinate submission and review of the Annual Owner Certification (AOC) packages submitted by owners and managing agents.
- Monitor the Public Housing Portfolio, Extended Use Period, Tax-Exempt Bond, Taxable Bond, and Regulatory portfolio and implementation of appropriate corrective compliance measures as applicable.
- Review, approve, and distribute compliance and non-compliance reports according to the regulatory requirements.
- Assign and manage staff's workload and conduct regular meetings to follow up on timelines and deadlines.
- Manage inquiries from residents, attorneys, elected officials, owners, syndicators, or managing agents and provide timely and detailed responses substantiated by HDC regulatory and programmatic guidelines.
- Ensure HDC staff and outside parties properly implement new policies and procedures.
- Coordinate and lead compliance meetings with owners, syndicators, consultants, and managing agents.
- Establish relationships with IRS and HUD officials, project developers, owners, managing agents, syndicators, government agencies, and third parties.
- Build strong working relationships with other teams within HDC and HPD to enhance compliance efforts and education.
- 5+ years minimum of relevant experience in affordable housing compliance.
- A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college in a related field, such as Business Administration, Public Administration, or Urban Planning preferred
- LIHTC/TCS/TACCs certification required obtained within the last 5 years
- COS, BOS, AHM, or other widely known affordable housing compliance certifications preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of IRS Section 42 and 142, HDC Marketing Guidelines, Fair Housing, Rent Stabilization guidelines
- Prior supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience with reviewing, interpreting, and applying government regulations
- Experience managing projects and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office – Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Communication (written, verbal, and visual) and interpersonal skills; ability to assemble, motivate, and lead cross-functional teams to meet objectives
- Attention to detail without sacrificing larger objectives.
Submitted resumes must be accompanied by a cover letter. Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (212)227-6816.
All HDC hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by HDC.
HDC demonstrates a strong commitment to its employees by providing a salary that is competitive and commensurate with experience and excellent benefits, including:
- Health Benefits at a reasonable cost
- Dental and Vision Benefits at no cost
- Retirement savings plan with a generous match and a pension plan
- Paid holiday, vacation, sick time and parental leave
- Professional development opportunities
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness for eligible employees
- Wellness reimbursement
HDC is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
HDC is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, HDC will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Human Resources by emailing jobs@NYCHDC.com.