HDC seeks a Data Scientist to lead data analysis projects to inform high-priority policy and operational discussions. The data scientist will also support the implementation of our data governance program and assist in building key data resources for use across the Corporation. Our data analytics and governance programs are the result of concerted investments in the Corporation’s data infrastructure necessary to support our growing lending activities and portfolio. Accordingly, the Data Scientist will infuse best practices in data analytics and data stewardship into the agency’s culture. This position will report to the Director of Data Management and, as part of the Division of Policy and Analytics, will have significant contact with senior agency leaders and stakeholders across all agency departments.
Area of Talent: Analytics and Technology
Position Type: Full Time/Exempt
Salary Range: $90,000 to $100,000
Office Location: NYC/Financial District
- Work with colleagues to devise analysis plans, workflows, and deliverables.
- Analyze, report, visualize, and summarize internal and external data to identify potential business risks/opportunities and support policy or operational discussions and decisions.
- Assist partners with the implementation of data collection, storage, processing, analysis, reporting, and system integration solutions to serve the design of new policies, programs, business processes, and data systems.
- Conduct background research and discovery on internal operations as well as housing, real estate, finance, policy, and related concepts to inform the conceptual basis of analyses.
- Evaluate and obtain new data sets from internal and external partners; negotiate and enforce data sharing and confidentiality agreements.
- Support the implementation, maintenance, and enforcement of the Corporation’s data governance policies, standards, processes, and tools.
- Contribute to and maintain core elements of the Corporation’s enterprise data model.
- Develop and maintain subject matter expertise in HDC operations and policy/economic issues relevant to housing and real estate finance.
- Undertake relevant special projects as requested by division leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree; 2+ years of experience in data analytics; or a satisfactory combination of education and/or experience equivalent to the above.
- Advanced proficiency in at least one analytics framework (e.g., R, Python, Stata, SAS).
- Track record of successfully planning, executing, and communicating data analytics projects using large data sets to inform questions or issues related to policy, business operations, and/or strategy.
- Strong communication (written, verbal, and visual) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to apply organizational skills and attention to detail without sacrificing larger objectives.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools.
- Commitment to public service.
- Substantive coursework in statistics, research methods, data analysis/science, computer science, library/information science and/or related fields.
- Advanced proficiency in open-source analytics and geographic information systems (GIS) frameworks.
- Familiarity with database, business intelligence, reporting, and/or visualization tools (e.g., SQL/Oracle, OBIEE, PowerBI, R Shiny).
- An interest in housing policy and/or real estate finance.
Submitted resumes must be accompanied by a cover letter. Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (212) 227-6816.
All HDC hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by HDC.
HDC demonstrates a strong commitment to its employees by providing a salary that is competitive and commensurate with experience and excellent benefits, including:
- Health Benefits at a reasonable cost
- Dental and Vision Benefits at no cost
- Retirement savings plan with a generous match and a pension plan
- Paid holiday, vacation, sick time and parental leave
- Professional development opportunities
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness for eligible employees
- Wellness reimbursement
HDC is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
HDC is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, HDC will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Human Resources by emailing jobs@NYCHDC.com.