Rehousing Policy and Operations Intern (Summer)
The Rehousing Policy and Operations Intern will support the Director of Process Improvement for Housing Placements, and a multi-agency effort to better help homeless New Yorkers move into permanent affordable housing. This internship will give exposure to process improvement in a government context and at the intersection of housing and homelessness.
HDC is leading a multi-agency task force comprised of HDC, the New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD), Department of Homeless Services (DHS), and Human Resources Administration (HRA). Our objective is to identify and implement opportunities to reduce administrative burden and speed up the time it takes for a DHS shelter resident to move into affordable housing. The Operational Strategy Intern will assist with developing project plans, writing process descriptions, and coordinating the inter-agency task force and an external consultant.
By the end of the summer, the intern will have written at least one memo addressed to senior leaders, produced project plans and other operational work products, and gained subject matter knowledge on how New Yorkers move into affordable housing, housing vouchers, and multi-agency governance.
Area of Talent: Program Management and Implementation
Position Type: Summer Internship
Office Location: NYC/Financial District
Reports to: Director of Process Improvement for Housing Placements
Desired Class Level(s): Graduate
Internship Pay Rate: $18/hour
Note: If needed, HDC will fully support an intern’s application for credit or stipend from their school/university.
- Support the Director in the management of a multi-agency task force and management consultant, by analyzing data and synthesizing written documents related to process improvement, operational data on process cycle times, and administrative data on the lease-up process
- Assist in turning recommendations into an implementation plan
- Map processes and write descriptions of existing processes
- Write short memos describing policy and programmatic options
- Prepare minor research projects intended to support and enhance the experience of this internship. This may includes writing a brief internal literature review summarizing research related to housing and homelessness
- Synthesize exiting procedural documents, process flows, and program eligibility requirements
- Undertake special projects/initiatives as requested
- Should be pursuing a graduate-level degree
- The internship is open to all degree types, but see the “preferred qualifications” relevant to this opportunity
- Superb writing skills
- Coursework or professional work experience in program design, program implementation, management consulting, operations improvement, homelessness, housing, welfare policy, and/or public administration/policy
- Intermediate Excel and analytical skills (i.e., Pivot Tables, LOOKUP functions, ability to merge different spreadsheets using a unique identifier, and trend analysis), PowerPoint
- An interest in - and sensitivity towards - housing policy, homelessness, and intervention
How to Apply:
Submitted resumes must be accompanied by a cover letter. Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 212-227-6816.
All HDC hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
If you are offered an internship at HDC, the requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for an exemption is received and approved by HDC.
HDC is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
HDC is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, HDC will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of the internship, please contact Human Resources by emailing Jobs@NYCHDC.Com.