Director of Data Management
HDC seeks a Director of Data Management to head the Corporation’s newly created Data Management unit and play a key role in the development and implementation of our data governance program. Our data governance program is the result of concerted investments in the Corporation’s data infrastructure necessary to support our growing lending activities and portfolio. Broadly, the Director will ensure the agency’s data resources are used effectively to advance HDC’s mission and infuse best practices in data stewardship and analytics into the agency’s culture. As part of the Division of Policy and Analytics, the Director will also assist in building key data resources and undertaking data analysis projects to inform high-priority policy and operational discussions. This position will report to the Vice President of Policy and Analytics, work closely with the Director of the IT Project Management Office (PMO), convene internal stakeholders and colleagues across all agency departments, present program updates to senior leadership, and occasionally work as directed with external partners.
Area of Talent: Analytics and Technology
Position Type: Full Time/Exempt
Salary Range: $110,000 to $120,000
Office Location: NYC/Financial District
- Lead the development and maintenance of the Corporation’s core data governance standards, practices, data elements, definitions, and processes.
- Plan, prioritize, manage, guide, track, and report on the data governance implementation team’s progress toward the program’s objectives.
- Coordinate and consult the data governance advisory committee and data stewards to inform and enforce data governance standards and practices.
- Recommend any technical tools needed to manage, catalog, document, and report on agency data, and support staff, data stewards, and users in the effective use of these tools.
- Influence and contribute to the design of the Corporation’s enterprise data model.
- Analyze, report, visualize, and summarize internal and external data to identify potential business risks/opportunities and support policy or operational discussions.
- Advise HDC business units and, as directed, external partners on best practices in data collection, storage, processing, analysis, and systems integration in the design of new policies, programs, business processes, and data systems.
- Develop and maintain subject matter expertise in HDC operations to ensure that data assets, processes, and analyses effectively support business practices.
- Anticipate supervisory duties and responsibilities, including but not limited to supporting and holding accountable direct report(s) in their duties and recommending professional development opportunities.
- Undertake relevant special projects as requested by the Vice President.
- Bachelor’s degree; 3+ years of experience in data analytics, management, governance, and/or architecture; or a satisfactory combination of education and/or experience equivalent to the above.
- Proficiency in programming using at least one general purpose (e.g., C++, Python), database (e.g., SQL), or statistical (e.g., R, Stata) language.
- A track record of defining, planning, and executing projects to completion.
- Ability to assess, diagnose, and solve problems – particularly in team settings.
- Communication (written, verbal, and visual) and interpersonal skills; ability to assemble, motivate, and lead cross-functional teams to meet objectives.
- Organizational and project management skills.
- Attention to detail without sacrificing larger objectives.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools.
- Commitment to public service.
- Substantive coursework in statistics, quantitative research methods, data analysis, computer science, management and/or related fields.
- 1+ years of supervisory experience.
- Proficiency in open-source data analysis programming frameworks and SQL.
- Familiarity with data management, business intelligence, reporting, and/or visualization tools (e.g., ADO, OBIEE, PowerBI, R Shiny).
- Ability to interpret and design data models.
- Knowledge of data relevant to land use, real estate development, and/or mortgage lending.
Submitted resumes must be accompanied by a cover letter. Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com or fax to (646) 304-4819.
As of August 2, 2021, all HDC hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by HDC.
HDC demonstrates a strong commitment to its employees by providing a salary that is competitive and commensurate with experience and excellent benefits including health benefits, retirement savings and career development programs.
HDC is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
HDC is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, HDC will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Human Resources by emailing jobs@NYCHDC.com.