Vice President, Preservation
The Vice President Preservation is responsible for managing the HDC preservation pipeline and leading a team of project managers who review project proposals, perform underwriting, guide projects through HDC’s Credit Committee and Board approval process, while utilizing sound financial programs and structures that leverage the Corporation’s assets while encouraging private investment. This role reports to the Senior Vice President, Development.
Area of Talent: Development/Affordable Housing
Position Type: Full Time/Exempt
Salary Range: $145,000 to $155,000 annually
Office Location: NYC/Financial District
- Manage a pipeline of preservation projects through all aspects of the predevelopment process, funding, construction monitoring and permanent loan conversion.
- Oversee and support team of project managers who are responsible for the day-to-day project management, including drafting, revising, and regularly updating development and operating budgets for affordable housing and economic development projects.
- Review credit memos prior to Credit Committee submissions.
- Act as main point of contact for current and future development partners on preservation projects
- Work with project managers to handle ongoing monitoring, requisition, and compliance of projects under construction.
- Research and report on affordable housing development strategies and best practices, including research and development of innovative real estate development partnership structures (private and non-profit collaborations).
- Participate in cross-departmental projects.
- Coordinate with New Construction VP to manage the department’s team and overall pipeline.
- Coordinate with HDC Capital Markets team on complex financing structures and HDC Asset Management to ensure high quality stewardship of affordable housing through the entire life cycle of a project.
- Perform other duties and work on special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Architecture, Real Estate or Finance. Advanced degree preferred.
- Five to seven years professional work experience, including project and/or construction management, housing, and community development.
- At least four years’ experience working in affordable housing development preferred, with a focus on preservation financing.
- Some management experience preferred.
- Experience and knowledge of real estate finance and federal and local preservation financing programs.
- Solid knowledge of the construction process.
- Excellent communication (written and oral), and computer skills.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiating skills with the ability to perform outreach to an array of various stakeholders.
- Commitment to affordable housing, community building and professional development.
- Willing to work as a team and participate in envisioning innovative community development initiatives.
- Demonstrates commitment to leadership development, community building, and community organizing as strategies for social change.
Submitted resumes must be accompanied by a cover letter. Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (646) 304-4819.
As of August 2, 2021, all HDC hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by HDC.
HDC demonstrates a strong commitment to its employees by providing a salary that is competitive and commensurate with experience and excellent benefits including health benefits, retirement savings and career development programs.
HDC is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
HDC is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, HDC will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Human Resources by emailing jobs@NYCHDC.com.