The New York City Housing Development Corporation (HDC) is the nation’s number one issuer of bonds for multi-family affordable housing. Established as a public benefit corporation by the State of New York in 1971, HDC is responsible for financing the creation and preservation of affordable housing within the five boroughs of New York City. The financing provided by HDC is in the form of low-cost mortgages made through the sale of tax-exempt and taxable bonds. Our programs are designed for multi-family rental housing and cooperative developments and serve a wide range of income segments from very-low to middle-income tenants.
HDC is an equal opportunity employer. Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (212) 227-6893.
Department: Accounting and Budget
Reports to: Controller and Deputy Controller
The Chief Accountant is expected to work closely with the Controller and Deputy Controller in the everyday management of the accounting department, its staff and its interaction with all departments throughout the Corporation. This position requires an individual with the ability to think logically and proactively as the department implements new and complex financial transactions, softwares, accounting standards, and reporting requirements.
- Work closely with the Controller and Deputy Controller to implement and carry out the department’s goals as well as that of the Corporation; have the ability to think through issues and solve problems; have the ability to make decisions and recognize when to escalate to senior managers
- Supervise senior and staff accountants in the daily activities and transactions of the Corporation; train new staff
- Provide guidance and analytical support to accounting staff on recording new types of financial transactions
- Review and analyze financial transactions for accurate accounting including mortgage, bond and investment transactions
- Read and interpret mortgage and bond documents to set up complex financial transactions in the general ledger as well as to be able to discuss the documents with other departments
- Provide guidance and support to staff in the preparation of the Corporation’s operating budget and five year capital plan
- Supervise the preparation of the Corporation’s financial statements
- Analyze quarterly and year-end financial statements and prepare a written summary of financial activities for those financial statements
- Assist in managing the fiscal year-end financial statement audit process; communicate and work with the external auditors and coordinate requests with accounting staff during the audit
- Serve as a coordinator between the accounting division and other departments on financial, technical, and other corporate matters; represent the department at project management meetings and have the ability to report updates back to senior management as well as recommend solutions and decisions as needed
- Maintain and update the department’s procedural manual
- BA/BS in Accounting with a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in the accounting field
- Proficiency in accounting principles; knowledge of GASB a plus
- Experience in managing a large staff for a minimum of 3 years
- Strong financial analysis and problem solving skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft (Excel, Word, Access, Power Point) required; Oracle Financials and Business Intelligent Query Tool a plus
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and presentation skills
Submitted resumes must be accompanied by a cover letter that includes salary requirements.
HDC is an equal opportunity employer
Portfolio Analyst in Asset Management
Reports To: Vice President, Portfolio Analysis
Position actively participates in the monitoring and analysis of risk exposure for housing developments and loans within the HDC Asset Management portfolio. The portfolio analyst will evaluate the physical and financial performance of assigned projects individually and collectively based on groupings such as by housing provider (i.e. external developers & managing agents) and by HDC program type.
- Actively monitor and evaluate assigned portfolio of projects on an on-going basis
- Establish and maintain relationships with project owners, managing agents and various government agencies
- Input financial statements into HDC database
- Review and analyze financial statements and physical inspections for each property; coordinate with HDC's engineers on noted issues
- Follow up and remedy financial issues such as mortgage delinquencies
- Assess troubled properties to provide technical assistance and work with more senior staff to devise workout strategies
- Review legal documents and agreements to identify project-specific regulatory obligations
- Perform field audits and site inspections to develop personal experience with assigned projects. This involves some local travel via public transportation to project locations throughout the five boroughs
- Work with senior staff to establish criteria and reports to assess the performance of the HDC portfolio
- Strong Financial Analysis Skills required
- Excellent Organizational and Communication Skills (Oral and Written)
- Proficiency with spreadsheets, financial analysis and database management (including Microsoft Office)
- B.A or B.S. Degree Required either in Finance, Real Estate, or Accounting. Degree in Business Administration may also be acceptable if it includes substantial course work/credits specific to Finance, Real Estate, and/or Accounting.
- Some experience in, or working knowledge of affordable housing programs is preferred
HDC is an equal opportunity employer