The New York City Housing Development Corporation (HDC) is the nation’s number one issuer of bonds for multi-family affordable housing. Established as a public benefit corporation by the State of New York in 1971, HDC is responsible for financing the creation and preservation of affordable housing within the five boroughs of New York City. The financing provided by HDC is in the form of low-cost mortgages made through the sale of tax-exempt and taxable bonds. Our programs are designed for multi-family rental housing and cooperative developments and serve a wide range of income segments from very-low to middle-income tenants.
HDC is an equal opportunity employer. Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax your cover letter and resume to (212) 227-6893.
Assistant Director of Communications
Reports To: Vice President of Communications
The Assistant Director of Communications is responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of HDC's communication strategy and broadening the visibility of the Corporation and its work on affordable housing. Reporting to the Vice President of Communications, the person in this position will manage the day-to-day operations of the Communications team and spearhead HDC press, website, social media, and all other communications initiatives. S/he will handle outreach to the media; supervise the organization of events in coordination with City Hall, other City and State agencies, and private and non-profit partners; and produce a broad range of online and print materials to promote the Corporation's programs and accomplishments.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a strategic and proactive communications strategy for HDC.
- Respond to inquiries from the press and proactively pitch stories, op-eds, and interviews to advance HDC’s priorities and enhance its profile.
- Supervise the coordination of HDC media events, including logistics, briefings, press releases, talking points, media outreach, and photography for groundbreakings, ribbon-cuttings, and press announcements.
- Work with the Communications staff to ensure the news is poured through on a daily basis to identify stories relating to HDC, affordable housing, and related policy areas, and share relevant coverage with appropriate agency teams.
- Prepare written remarks, speeches, powerpoint presentations, quotes, and statements for the HDC President and other members of the senior leadership team.
- Create, edit, and manage content for the HDC website; help develop a clear and consistent online presence for the Corporation; and work with other departments to ensure existing pages are current, accurate, and accessible.
- Write, edit, and design quality communications materials, including press releases, media advisories, newsletters, brochures, Q&A documents, fact sheets, and public presentations.
- Plan, write, and oversee the production of HDC’s Annual Report, ensuring that it aligns with the goals for the agency's online presence and broader communications strategy.
- Help develop a visual identity for HDC that is consistent across online, print, and presentation materials, and ensure adherence to City styles, standards, and practices.
- Evaluate the opportunities for the Corporation to create a social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, etc.), and oversee its implementation.
- A Bachelor’s degree and minimum of three to five years of experience in communications, press, and/or related fields in a competitive and fast-paced environment.
- Excellent writing, presentation, communication, analytical, problem-solving, client service, and interpersonal skills.
- Graphic design experience and familiarity with powerpoint and various social media platforms is a plus.
- Knowledge of urban planning, housing development, community engagement, or city government is preferred.
- A positive self-starter with a can-do attitude, sense of humor, and willingness to go the extra mile.
Please include a cover letter, resume and salary requirements.
Marketing Manager in Asset Management
Reports To: Assistant Vice President, Marketing
The position primarily ensures that during the occupancy restriction period all HDC financed developments are marketed and rented in accordance with HDC’s marketing guidelines as well as their respective regulatory requirements. As the initial public interface for all new HDC financed properties, the position requires excellent verbal and written communication skills. Marketing team members are also responsible for assisting the Lease-Up and LIHTC Monitoring groups.
- Represent HDC at Marketing and Compliance meetings
- Establish and maintain relationships with project owners, managing agents and various government agencies
- Review Marketing Plans to provide guidance and ensure initial and long term Regulatory and Marketing compliance
- Monitor Affordable Housing Lotteries for advertised projects, including lottery logs, to ensure proper processing of applicants
- Review and draft correspondence to applicants, the general public and elected officials for any marketing and/or regulatory question or complaint.
- Coordinate with other HDC departments to resolve regulatory issues
- Act as a liaison for NYC Housing Connect
- Present and discuss Marketing guidelines and future developments at public meetings
- Maintain and update project records
- Create advertisements for initial and ongoing vacancies
- Monitor and ensure that HDC’s website is up to date
- Review applicant files for programmatic eligibility
- Strong verbal and written communication skills a must
- Attention to Detail and Deadlines
- Microsoft Office: Proficiency in Excel and Word
- Knowledge of affordable housing developments and programs
- LIHTC or comparable certification/experience
- Knowledge of Fair Housing and Rent Stabilization preferred
- Relevant experience (minimum of 2 years) in LIHTC and Affordable Housing preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree Preferred
Compliance Specialist in Asset Management
Reports To: Deputy Director, Compliance
The Compliance Specialist is responsible for all aspects of Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC), Tax Exempt Bond (TEB), Taxable Bond (TB) and HDC Regulatory Compliance within the HDC affordable housing portfolio. The position requires the evaluation and monitoring of properties. The compliance team is also responsible for assisting the Leasing and Marketing Groups.
- On-site auditing and subsequent reporting of LIHTC and TEB properties as required by Section 42 and 142 of the Internal Revenue Code and HDC regulatory requirements.
- Review owner LIHTC, TEB, TB certification packages to confirm programmatic compliance.
- Monitor for changes in LIHTC and TEB regulations and implement changes as required.
- Work directly with managing agents to provide technical assistance.
- Create and track project compliance spreadsheets.
- Process inquiries and complaints from elected officials, tenants, developers, managing agents, and the general public and provide written responses.
- Coordinate with other HDC departments to resolve regulatory issues and ensure timely goals.
- Establish and maintain relationships with project Owners, managing agents and various government agencies.
- Strong math, analytical, organization and communication skills
- Extensive travel within the five boroughs
- Attention to deadlines and details
- Aptitude in finding creative solutions to problems
- Microsoft Office: Proficiency in Excel and Word
- Relevant experience (minimum of 2 years) in LIHTC and Affordable Housing programs preferred
- Familiarity with Fair Housing and Rent Stabilization a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred