The New York City Housing Development Corporation (HDC) is the nation’s number one issuer of bonds for multi-family affordable housing. Established as a public benefit corporation by the State of New York in 1971, HDC is responsible for financing the creation and preservation of affordable housing within the five boroughs of New York City. The financing provided by HDC is in the form of low-cost mortgages made through the sale of tax-exempt and taxable bonds. Our programs are designed for multi-family rental housing and cooperative developments and serve a wide range of income segments from very-low to middle-income tenants.
HDC is an equal opportunity employer. Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com or fax to (212) 227-6893.
Vice President of Human Resources (HR)
Division: Human Resources
Reports to: Senior Vice President for Administration
The Vice President of HR will develop and administer human resources policies and procedures to attract/retain qualified employees; to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations; and to foster a balanced work environment that is both supportive and productive. The VP will work closely with senior executives on strategic planning to address the needs and challenges (both current and long-term) that are specific to each of the corporation’s various departments.
- Oversee, and ensure legal compliance regarding, the administration of:
- Staff hiring, retention & terminations
- Personnel records
- Compensation and benefits
- Serve as the corporation’s Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Officer, which entails:
- Ensure that recruitment efforts continue to reach appropriately diverse pools of applicants;
- Address and resolve potential EEO concerns raised by staff;
- Coordinate with EEO counselors regarding EEO complaints to devise appropriate plans of action and resolution;
- Schedule (preparing agendas before and documenting minutes after) quarterly EEO meetings with the EEO team to address any issues and review staffing changes within the corporation during the prior quarter to evaluate impact
- Continue self-education to remain current in all EEO-related information; ensure adequate ongoing training for other EEO team members; and ensure periodic EEO training for the entire HDC staff
- Remain up-to-date regarding knowledge of all laws and new legislation impacting HR (including but not limited to EEO, FLSA & FMLA) and monitor/revise company policies accordingly:
- Carefully/regularly update the employee handbook and all other written materials
- Carefully/regularly review and update the various required public posters/fact sheets
- Ensure adequate information sharing, distribution & training as needed
- Prepare and ensure the effective communication of all HR-related information including:
- staff orientation documents and sessions for new staff
- changes or other information regarding employee benefit information
- staff appraisals and employee development
- clear guidance regarding all EEO-related matters (including but not limited to policies regarding anti-harassment and the importance of workplace diversity/inclusiveness)
- Directly supervise a staff of three and work very closely with them and external business partners (including service vendors & insurance carriers) regarding the details of payroll, benefits plans, and all other operational business of the HR division.
- Schedule and lead informative & well-prepared bi-weekly meetings with designated senior staff (and more frequently when requested or as necessary) to review payroll and benefit details in advance of each pay period
- Respond to requests from employees for assistance regarding all HR matters, conducting research when needed to address unique or unanticipated questions/issues as they arise
- Proactively and collaboratively work with all senior staff to discuss and plan for the staffing & training needs of their departments.
- Ensure accurate employee job descriptions & updated organizational charts
- Craft job postings & additional recruitment strategies tailored to new positions
- Assist in the review of applicants, participate in interviews and verify references
- Assess growing workloads to strategize staffing & other solutions
- Assist in departmental reorganizations as needed
- Guide staff evaluations & strategize training opportunities that will both assist employees in their own development and maximize contributions to their departments
- Serve as the primary contact for hiring, employment & training matters with other government entities including The Conflicts of Interest Board (COIB), The Department of Investigation (DOI), The Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS), and The Department of Housing Preservation & Development (HPD).
- Complete other (sometimes unexpected) assignments with the flexibility & creativity expected of a Vice President.
- Master’s Degree in Human Resources or related field strongly preferred (comparable experience considered);
- Certifications/Affiliations with industry-related Organizations such as SHRM;
- Strong & Current Knowledge of all HR-relevant laws & regulations (EEO, FLSA, FMLA, etc.)
- Excellent public speaking, business writing, and presentation skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Experience managing sensitive personnel matters, securing confidential information, and recommending/implementing disciplinary measures
- Experience in strategic planning & organizational restructurings
- Strong computer skills, including experience with HRIS software (HDC uses the ABRA system); Microsoft proficiency (especially Excel & Power-Point); and adaptability to databases & other electronic platforms to maintain, organize & present data
- Directly relevant, senior-level experience managing HR-related functions for an organization
Submitted resumes must be accompanied by a cover letter that includes salary requirements.
HDC is an equal opportunity employer
Portfolio Analyst in Asset Management
Reports To: Vice President, Portfolio Analysis
Position actively participates in the monitoring and analysis of risk exposure for housing developments and loans within the HDC Asset Management portfolio. The portfolio analyst will evaluate the physical and financial performance of assigned projects individually and collectively based on groupings such as by housing provider (i.e. external developers & managing agents) and by HDC program type.
- Actively monitor and evaluate assigned portfolio of projects on an on-going basis
- Establish and maintain relationships with project owners, managing agents and various government agencies
- Input financial statements into HDC database
- Review and analyze financial statements and physical inspections for each property; coordinate with HDC's engineers on noted issues
- Follow up and remedy financial issues such as mortgage delinquencies
- Assess troubled properties to provide technical assistance and work with more senior staff to devise workout strategies
- Review legal documents and agreements to identify project-specific regulatory obligations
- Perform field audits and site inspections to develop personal experience with assigned projects. This involves some local travel via public transportation to project locations throughout the five boroughs
- Work with senior staff to establish criteria and reports to assess the performance of the HDC portfolio
- Strong Financial Analysis Skills required
- Excellent Organizational and Communication Skills (Oral and Written)
- Proficiency with spreadsheets, financial analysis and database management (including Microsoft Office)
- B.A or B.S. Degree Required either in Finance, Real Estate, or Accounting. Degree in Business Administration may also be acceptable if it includes substantial course work/credits specific to Finance, Real Estate, and/or Accounting.
- Some experience in, or working knowledge of affordable housing programs is preferred
HDC is an equal opportunity employer
Assistant Director of Communications
Reports To: Vice President of Communications
The Assistant Director of Communications is responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of HDC's communication strategy and broadening the visibility of the Corporation and its work on affordable housing. Reporting to the Vice President of Communications, the person in this position will manage the day-to-day operations of the Communications team and spearhead HDC press, website, social media, and all other communications initiatives. S/he will handle outreach to the media; supervise the organization of events in coordination with City Hall, other City and State agencies, and private and non-profit partners; and produce a broad range of online and print materials to promote the Corporation's programs and accomplishments.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a strategic and proactive communications strategy for HDC.
- Respond to inquiries from the press and proactively pitch stories, op-eds, and interviews to advance HDC’s priorities and enhance its profile.
- Supervise the coordination of HDC media events, including logistics, briefings, press releases, talking points, media outreach, and photography for groundbreakings, ribbon-cuttings, and press announcements.
- Work with the Communications staff to ensure the news is poured through on a daily basis to identify stories relating to HDC, affordable housing, and related policy areas, and share relevant coverage with appropriate agency teams.
- Prepare written remarks, speeches, powerpoint presentations, quotes, and statements for the HDC President and other members of the senior leadership team.
- Create, edit, and manage content for the HDC website; help develop a clear and consistent online presence for the Corporation; and work with other departments to ensure existing pages are current, accurate, and accessible.
- Write, edit, and design quality communications materials, including press releases, media advisories, newsletters, brochures, Q&A documents, fact sheets, and public presentations.
- Plan, write, and oversee the production of HDC’s Annual Report, ensuring that it aligns with the goals for the agency's online presence and broader communications strategy.
- Help develop a visual identity for HDC that is consistent across online, print, and presentation materials, and ensure adherence to City styles, standards, and practices.
- Evaluate the opportunities for the Corporation to create a social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, etc.), and oversee its implementation.
- A Bachelor’s degree and minimum of three to five years of experience in communications, press, and/or related fields in a competitive and fast-paced environment.
- Excellent writing, presentation, communication, analytical, problem-solving, client service, and interpersonal skills.
- Graphic design experience and familiarity with powerpoint and various social media platforms is a plus.
- Knowledge of urban planning, housing development, community engagement, or city government is preferred.
- A positive self-starter with a can-do attitude, sense of humor, and willingness to go the extra mile.
Please include a cover letter, resume and salary requirements.
HDC is an equal opportunity employer
Cash Management Analyst
Reports To: Vice Presidents of Cash Management
Department: Debt Issuance and Finance
The Cash Management Group is part of the Debt Issuance and Finance Department. Cash Management is responsible for tracking all cash receipts and expenditures for the Corporation. This group is also responsible for mortgage loan set up and certain servicing functions. This position would involve interaction with all departments within the Corporation.
Position Summary: Responsible for mortgage loan set up and certain investment functions of the Corporation. Will also provide back-up for various Cash Management Functions such as debt management and creating and maintaining various reports.
- Review documents related to new mortgage loans and conversions
- Set up and verify of information for new and converted mortgage loans on the mortgage loan servicing system.
- Coordinate with management on the investment activities of the Corporation, including reporting functions.
- Work with brokers to research potential investments for the Corporation.
- Assist as needed in maintaining debt outstanding files for all fixed and variable rate bonds.
- Prepare management reports and loan tracking information as needed
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Understanding of financial concepts and mortgage loans
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Comfortable working with financial systems
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Comparable experience
HDC is an equal opportunity employer