The New York City Housing Development Corporation (HDC) is the nation’s number one issuer of bonds for multi-family affordable housing. Established as a public benefit corporation by the State of New York in 1971, HDC is responsible for financing the creation and preservation of affordable housing within the five boroughs of New York City. The financing provided by HDC is in the form of low-cost mortgages made through the sale of tax-exempt and taxable bonds. Our programs are designed for multi-family rental housing and cooperative developments and serve a wide range of income segments from very-low to middle-income tenants.
HDC is an equal opportunity employer. Please email your resume to email@example.com or fax your cover letter and resume to (212) 227-6893.
Project Manager, Development
Reports to: Senior Vice President
This position originates and underwrites mortgage loans using funds raised through bond issuances and/or allocations of corporate reserves.
- Underwrite mortgage loans (analyze loan proposals, review due diligence materials, prepare spreadsheets outlining each proposal, write memos requesting approval)
- Serve as primary HDC contact to external transaction partners (including agencies, banks, investors, etc.) during underwriting process.
- Prepare management reports and loan tracking information
- Perform administrative tasks relating to bond issuances (attend meetings related to bond issuances, prepare/obtain cost information, communicate with all interested parties regarding information and documentation needed for closing).
- Perform financial feasibility analysis for project proposals (both for unsolicited submissions and responses to Requests For Proposals).
- Assist Legal Department with mortgage loan closings
- Handle inquiries from prospective developers
- Complete other duties as assigned
- Proficiency in creating mortgage loan models
- Understanding of financial concepts
- Excellent communication skills (oral/written)
- Advanced degree in a related field
- Comparable experience (min. 2 years)
Project Manager, Engineering & Architecture
Department: Asset Management
Reports to: Vice President
One of the core functions of the Asset Management department is monitoring and preserving the physical assets securing HDC’s $10 billion portfolio of mortgage loans and loan interests. Staff is responsible for evaluating the physical conditions and maintenance practices of developments in HDC’s portfolio, as well the portfolios of entities seeking to do business with HDC. In addition to physical inspections, staff also conduct design reviews and construction monitoring to identify preservation opportunities, as well as create viable and sustainable recovery strategies that leverage the Corporation’s assets while also encouraging private investment and maintaining portfolio integrity.
This position performs physical inspections, design reviews and construction monitoring of occupied rehabilitation projects to preserve the integrity of HDC’s portfolio of affordable multi-family developments securing the Corporation’s lending activities.
- Analyze and assess building conditions, maintenance practices, energy efficiency, storm resiliency, construction plans and progress
- Prepare written reports to management and ownership with findings and recommendations
- Review owner responses to findings and determine the feasibility of the proposed remediation
- Participate in evaluating initiatives and policy affecting HDC’s portfolio
- Participate and represent HDC in meetings with borrowers, business partners and other agencies
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, or construction management required
- Knowledge of NYC building codes, multi-family residential construction, HVAC, plumbing and building conveyance systems
- Strong communication skills (oral/written)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office productivity tools
- NYS driver’s license preferred, but not required
- Relevant experience (2 to 5 years preferred, but recent graduate will be considered)
- NYS licensed PE or RA, LEED, BPI or CEM certifications a plus
- Knowledge of Federal State and New York City affordable housing programs is a plus
- Integrates and customizes SharePoint applications and existing custom developed applications
- Creates data-driven web parts using SharePoint and .NET applications
- Maintains existing applications, debugs, tests and deploys developed software solutions on test and production environment
- Security design and implementation utilizing Active Directory
- Custom forms development with advanced workflow integration (i.e SharePoint Designer, InfoPath, K2/BlackPearl, Adobe LifeCycle)
- JQuery development within the SharePoint environment
- Develop/maintain .NET code related to the various applications existing in the environment
- Tune performance as content grows.
- Address scalability challenges, analyze needs for remote BLOBs to assure continued efficient and high performing Sharepoint environment.
- 5+ years’ experience in development, configuration and customization with Microsoft SharePoint Technologies (2010/2013)
- Experience building custom solutions in Sharepoint 2010/2013, including web parts
- Strong experience migrating SharePoint 2010 sites to SharePoint 2013
- Strong understanding of SharePoint 2013 best practices
- SharePoint API/Object Model
- At least 3+ years of experience working with VB/C# .NET
- Strong competency in Microsoft Visual Studio, Web Application design, jQuery, jQuery UI, and jQuery Mobile
- Demonstrated experienced in Office 365 Integration, Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5/3.0/2.0, ASP.Net, C#.Net , VB.Net, ADO.Net, Web Services, AJAX, MS SQL Server 2008 R2/2012 , IIS.
- Significant architectural design and application development experience
- Must be able to interact and communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
Deputy Director - Credit Risk
Department: Credit Risk
Reports to: Credit Chief Officer
Assist the Chief Credit Officer in developing, implementing, and managing HDC’s credit policies and procedures
- Develop and review credit management policies and procedures
- Conduct risk assessments of various types of credit risk faced by the Corporation
- Make recommendations for approval of loan proposals by HDC’s Credit Committee following completion of risk assessments conducted according to HDC’s credit policies
- Assess and monitor program participant credit quality according to HDC’s credit policies and report the results of these assessments to the senior staff, Credit Committee, and Audit Committee with appropriate recommendations
- Monitor and review various underwriting standards to ensure HDC’s standards remain current and relevant
- Oversee subsidy layering review process
- Back up moderator for Credit Committee meetings
- Development and supervision of staff by providing leadership, expertise, and guidance
- Remain current on credit, financial, accounting, and tax changes related to real estate and housing development
- Assist in the monitoring of distressed properties
- Assess new credit proposals from outside vendors
- Monitor credit rating agency actions, and report on such actions
- Update Credit Risk databases
- Any other projects and/or responsibilities as assigned by the Chief Credit Officer
- Advanced degree in finance or urban studies (or equivalent experience)
- Proficiency with computer programs for financial analysis and database management
- Five years minimum experience in real estate finance or housing development (or equivalent experience)
- Familiarity with Federal, State, and City housing programs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Credit training at a financial institution preferred
- 2 Credit Analysts
Portfolio Analyst in Asset Management
Reports To: Vice President, Portfolio Analysis
Position actively participates in the monitoring and analysis of risk exposure for housing developments and loans within the HDC Asset Management portfolio. The portfolio analyst will evaluate the physical and financial performance of assigned projects individually and collectively based on groupings such as by housing provider (i.e. external developers & managing agents) and by HDC program type.
- Actively monitor and evaluate assigned portfolio of projects on an on-going basis
- Establish and maintain relationships with project owners, managing agents and various government agencies
- Input financial statements into HDC database
- Review and analyze financial statements and physical inspections for each property; coordinate with HDC's engineers on noted issues
- Follow up and remedy financial issues such as mortgage delinquencies
- Assess troubled properties to provide technical assistance and work with more senior staff to devise workout strategies
- Review legal documents and agreements to identify project-specific regulatory obligations
- Perform field audits and site inspections to develop personal experience with assigned projects. This involves some local travel via public transportation to project locations throughout the five boroughs
- Work with senior staff to establish criteria and reports to assess the performance of the HDC portfolio
- Strong Financial Analysis Skills required
- Excellent Organizational and Communication Skills (Oral and Written)
- Proficiency with spreadsheets, financial analysis and database management (including Microsoft Office)
- B.A or B.S. Degree Required either in Finance, Real Estate, or Accounting. Degree in Business Administration may also be acceptable if it includes substantial course work/credits specific to Finance, Real Estate, and/or Accounting.
- Some experience in, or working knowledge of affordable housing programs is preferred
Assistant Director of Communications
Reports To: Vice President of Communications
The Assistant Director of Communications is responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of HDC's communication strategy and broadening the visibility of the Corporation and its work on affordable housing. Reporting to the Vice President of Communications, the person in this position will manage the day-to-day operations of the Communications team and spearhead HDC press, website, social media, and all other communications initiatives. S/he will handle outreach to the media; supervise the organization of events in coordination with City Hall, other City and State agencies, and private and non-profit partners; and produce a broad range of online and print materials to promote the Corporation's programs and accomplishments.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a strategic and proactive communications strategy for HDC.
- Respond to inquiries from the press and proactively pitch stories, op-eds, and interviews to advance HDC’s priorities and enhance its profile.
- Supervise the coordination of HDC media events, including logistics, briefings, press releases, talking points, media outreach, and photography for groundbreakings, ribbon-cuttings, and press announcements.
- Work with the Communications staff to ensure the news is poured through on a daily basis to identify stories relating to HDC, affordable housing, and related policy areas, and share relevant coverage with appropriate agency teams.
- Prepare written remarks, speeches, powerpoint presentations, quotes, and statements for the HDC President and other members of the senior leadership team.
- Create, edit, and manage content for the HDC website; help develop a clear and consistent online presence for the Corporation; and work with other departments to ensure existing pages are current, accurate, and accessible.
- Write, edit, and design quality communications materials, including press releases, media advisories, newsletters, brochures, Q&A documents, fact sheets, and public presentations.
- Plan, write, and oversee the production of HDC’s Annual Report, ensuring that it aligns with the goals for the agency's online presence and broader communications strategy.
- Help develop a visual identity for HDC that is consistent across online, print, and presentation materials, and ensure adherence to City styles, standards, and practices.
- Evaluate the opportunities for the Corporation to create a social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, etc.), and oversee its implementation.
- A Bachelor’s degree and minimum of three to five years of experience in communications, press, and/or related fields in a competitive and fast-paced environment.
- Excellent writing, presentation, communication, analytical, problem-solving, client service, and interpersonal skills.
- Graphic design experience and familiarity with powerpoint and various social media platforms is a plus.
- Knowledge of urban planning, housing development, community engagement, or city government is preferred.
- A positive self-starter with a can-do attitude, sense of humor, and willingness to go the extra mile.
Please include a cover letter, resume and salary requirements.
Marketing Manager in Asset Management
Reports To: Assistant Vice President, Marketing
The position primarily ensures that during the occupancy restriction period all HDC financed developments are marketed and rented in accordance with HDC’s marketing guidelines as well as their respective regulatory requirements. As the initial public interface for all new HDC financed properties, the position requires excellent verbal and written communication skills. Marketing team members are also responsible for assisting the Lease-Up and LIHTC Monitoring groups.
- Represent HDC at Marketing and Compliance meetings
- Establish and maintain relationships with project owners, managing agents and various government agencies
- Review Marketing Plans to provide guidance and ensure initial and long term Regulatory and Marketing compliance
- Monitor Affordable Housing Lotteries for advertised projects, including lottery logs, to ensure proper processing of applicants
- Review and draft correspondence to applicants, the general public and elected officials for any marketing and/or regulatory question or complaint.
- Coordinate with other HDC departments to resolve regulatory issues
- Act as a liaison for NYC Housing Connect
- Present and discuss Marketing guidelines and future developments at public meetings
- Maintain and update project records
- Create advertisements for initial and ongoing vacancies
- Monitor and ensure that HDC’s website is up to date
- Review applicant files for programmatic eligibility
- Strong verbal and written communication skills a must
- Attention to Detail and Deadlines
- Microsoft Office: Proficiency in Excel and Word
- Knowledge of affordable housing developments and programs
- LIHTC or comparable certification/experience
- Knowledge of Fair Housing and Rent Stabilization preferred
- Relevant experience (minimum of 2 years) in LIHTC and Affordable Housing preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree Preferred
Compliance Specialist in Asset Management
Reports To: Deputy Director, Compliance
The Compliance Specialist is responsible for all aspects of Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC), Tax Exempt Bond (TEB), Taxable Bond (TB) and HDC Regulatory Compliance within the HDC affordable housing portfolio. The position requires the evaluation and monitoring of properties. The compliance team is also responsible for assisting the Leasing and Marketing Groups.
- On-site auditing and subsequent reporting of LIHTC and TEB properties as required by Section 42 and 142 of the Internal Revenue Code and HDC regulatory requirements.
- Review owner LIHTC, TEB, TB certification packages to confirm programmatic compliance.
- Monitor for changes in LIHTC and TEB regulations and implement changes as required.
- Work directly with managing agents to provide technical assistance.
- Create and track project compliance spreadsheets.
- Process inquiries and complaints from elected officials, tenants, developers, managing agents, and the general public and provide written responses.
- Coordinate with other HDC departments to resolve regulatory issues and ensure timely goals.
- Establish and maintain relationships with project Owners, managing agents and various government agencies.
- Strong math, analytical, organization and communication skills
- Extensive travel within the five boroughs
- Attention to deadlines and details
- Aptitude in finding creative solutions to problems
- Microsoft Office: Proficiency in Excel and Word
- Relevant experience (minimum of 2 years) in LIHTC and Affordable Housing programs preferred
- Familiarity with Fair Housing and Rent Stabilization a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred